Welcome to the website of the Autonomous Robots Lab of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Department of Engineering Cybernetics. Our team's mission is to create resilient autonomous robotic systems capable of long-term operation in complex, and degraded environments.
Our dedication is to create robotic systems that will present the locomotion, perception and intelligence properties that will allow them to deal with any environment, under any possible conditions, and perform all kinds of interactions necessary to carry out useful tasks. We are therefore building a research team that focuses on developing the vision of resilient robotic autonomy. We are inspired by the visionaries of robotics and aim for meaningful contributions that can break new ground and enable new robotic abilities in relation with application domains useful to our societies.
We welcome visitors to explore our research and education pages, as well as students from all engineering and science disciplines to contact us and discuss research opportunities.
Below is a brief list of research projects that our lab is currently working or has worked in the past:
- Horizon Europe: SPEAR: Spatial Perception & Embodied Autonomy Research (Coordinator)
- Horizon Europe: AUTOASSESS: Autonomous aerial inspection of GNSS-denied and confined critical infrastructures (WP Lead)
- Horizon Europe: SYNERGIZE: A novel integrated SYstem of Systems streNgthening tEchnical and logistical capacities to ensure better Response to emerGencies by synergIStically addrEssing FRs capability gaps (WP Lead)
- Horizon Europe: DIGIFOREST: Digital Analytics and Robotics for Sustainable Forestry (WP Lead)
- Research Council of Norway: IKTUPLUSS: SENTIENT: Science of resilient autonomy in perceptually-degraded environments (Coordinator)
- Research Council of Norway: ROI: RObotic Inspectors for semantic characterization of industrial facilities (Coordinator)
- DARPA Subterranean Challenge: CERBERUS: CERBERUS: CollaborativE walking & flying RoBots for autonomous ExploRation in Underground Settings (PI)
- RI: Small: Learning Resilient Autonomous Flight Behaviors by Exploiting Collision-tolerance (PI)
- NRI: INT: COLLAB: Cooperative Robotic Systems for Precision Agriculture and Plant Health Management (PI)
- NRI: Collaborative Research: Multi-Modal Characterization of DOE-EM Facilities (PI)
- Get more information in the Projects page, or get an overview of our Research and Publications.
Searching for PhDs!
The "Autonomous Robots Lab" (ARL) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) is opening PhD positions in the field of advanced navigational and operational autonomy for cognizant robotic systems. Students with interest in the fields of control, perception, path planning, and multi-agent systems are welcome to apply.