We are a new team but share a great vision: making robots ubiquitous within our societies, contribute into the most critical relevant challenges, and most of all... enjoy this great journey!
Lab Head & Principal Investigator
Dr. Kostas Alexis - Dr. Alexis is the head of the Autonomous Robots Lab and currently is a Full Professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). Before joining NTNU, Dr. Alexis was an Associate Professor the University of Nevada, Reno and the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, where he got tenured at the end of 5-th year of work. Prior to that Dr. Alexis had been working as a Senior Researcher at the Autonomous Systems Lab (ASL) of ETH Zurich led by Prof. Roland Siegwart. Dr. Alexis obtained his PhD on Unmanned Systems Control and Collaboration under the supervision of Prof. Anthony Tzes, at the Anemos Group of the University of Patras in Greece. Dr. Alexis has been the principal or co-principal investigator within multiple national and international research projects in the US and in Europe.
Special Researchers & Engineers
Taylor Wilson - Taylor Wilson is an American nuclear physicist and science advocate. In 2008, at age 14, he became the youngest person to produce nuclear fusion, using a fusor. Taylor supports our lab in matters related with radiation detection, modeling, and localization. Among others, Taylor has a keen interest in utilizing robotics for the purposes of radiation monitoring. Know more about this outstanding work at http://www.sciradioactive.com/
Mihir Kulkharni - I am currently conducting research on motion planning for multi-linked aerial robotic systems of systems.
New K-12 Students to join the lab next summer period. For self-motivated projects contact us.
Graduated PhD Students
Other previous lab members
- Dr. Shehryar Khattak, First position after graduation: PostDoc, Robotic Systems Lab, ETH Zurich
- Dr. Tung Dang, First position after graduation: Skydio
- Dr. Frank Mascarich, First position after graduation: Anduril
- Dr. Christos Papachristos, First position after our lab: Assistant Professor, University of Nevada Reno
- Dr. Sotirios Diamantas, First position after our lab: Assistant Professor at Tarleton State University
Other previous lab members
- Satchel Hirsch - Autonomous Object Detection
- Russell Reinhart - Supervised Learning for Autonomous Exploration
- Harpreet Singh - Road Anomaly Detection
- Valerie Pober - Ground Robot Design
- Varun Nayak - Aerial Manipulator Design - BITS Pilani
- Ashutosh Singandhupe - Manned aircraft detection and real-time 3D mapping systems.
- Niki Silveria - Pedestrian Detection for autonomous driving technologies.
- Mat Boggs - Machine learning for robot detection and fixed-wing robot development.
- Dwight Boyko - Ground Robots Design.
- Sidney Taylor, Davidson Academy (K-12 Outreach), Robot-blimp for indoor applications
- Etzal Corona, Leg-wheel Robot Design
- Jason Rush, Fixed-Wing and Autonomous Boat projects
- Manuel Retana, Tension-based robotic locomotion
- Ryan Gray - LiDAR based underground navigation
- Grace Le - Deep Learning based thermal vision
Who We Are
We are the Autonomous Robots Lab. We are striving for advanced long-term autonomy for ubiquitous robots in the real world!