We are a new team but share a great vision: making robots ubiquitous within our societies, contribute into the most critical relevant challenges, and most of all... enjoy this great journey!
Lab Head & Principal Investigator
Dr. Kostas Alexis - Dr. Alexis is the head of the Autonomous Robots Lab and currently is an Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) at the Computer Science & Engineering Department at the University of Nevada, Reno. Prior to that Dr. Alexis had been working as a Senior Researcher at the Autonomous Systems Lab (ASL) of ETH Zurich led by Prof. Roland Siegwart. Dr. Alexis obtained his PhD on Unmanned Systems Control and Collaboration under the supervision of Prof. Anthony Tzes, at the Anemos Group of the University of Patras in Greece. Dr. Alexis has been the principal or co-principal investigator within multiple national and international research projects in the US and in Europe.
Senior PostDoc Researcher
Tung Dang - My ultimate goal is deploying the fully autonomous exploration robots by tightly closing the loop between robotics components: active perception, path planning and control. Currently, I am focusing on novel methods to exploit the best knowledge from multi-sensors system to enable cognizant robotic behaviors.
Furthermore, our lab collaborates with ETH Zurich and in particular with Sebastian Verling, PhD Candidate at the Autonomous Systems Lab (co-supervised by Dr. Roland Siegwart and Dr. Alexis) for the development of hybrid VTOL platforms with advanced maneuvering and autonomy capabilities. Sebastian is also a co-founder of WingTra.
Graduate Research Assistants
Special Researchers & Engineers
Taylor Wilson - Taylor Wilson is an American nuclear physicist and science advocate. In 2008, at age 14, he became the youngest person to produce nuclear fusion, using a fusor. Taylor supports our lab in matters related with radiation detection, modeling, and localization. Among others, Taylor has a keen interest in utilizing robotics for the purposes of radiation monitoring. Know more about this outstanding work at http://www.sciradioactive.com/
New K-12 Students to join the lab next summer period. For self-motivated projects contact us.
- Dr. Sotirios Diamantas, PostDoctoral Researcher in Computer Vision, now Assistant Professor at Tarleton State University
- Varun Nayak - Aerial Manipulator Design - BITS Pilani
- Ashutosh Singandhupe - Manned aircraft detection and real-time 3D mapping systems.
- Niki Silveria - Pedestrian Detection for autonomous driving technologies.
- Mat Boggs - Machine learning for robot detection and fixed-wing robot development.
- Dwight Boyko - Ground Robots Design.
- Sidney Taylor, Davidson Academy (K-12 Outreach), Robot-blimp for indoor applications
- Etzal Corona, Leg-wheel Robot Design
- Jason Rush, Fixed-Wing and Autonomous Boat projects
- Manuel Retana, Tension-based robotic locomotion
- Ryan Gray - LiDAR based underground navigation
- Grace Le - Deep Learning based thermal vision
Who We Are
We are the Autonomous Robots Lab. We are striving for advanced long-term autonomy for ubiquitous robots in the real world!